Wednesday, August 26, 2009

What does Independence Day mean to me?

Since school we have been conditioned to regard the 15th of August as secondary only to our own birthday. But this assignment made me stop and think if it means any more than 'just another holiday' to me. At first, I was abashed to admit that it was indeed not more than a 'just a holiday' to me. A day to relax, to spend time with family, a day when I am not allowed to meet my friends because of the prevalent bomb scare around the country.

Why, has the most important day for our country reduced to nothing more than just another day for my generation? Why is it that we are hooked to our televisions when Mumbai is under siege, but the minute things get back to normal, the only memory of that incident is through Facebook appeals for protest marches, candle-light vigils, odes to the martyrs? Has our generation come to take things for granted, and forgotten the long years of struggle which are now limited to history textbooks?

Independence to me is choosing from all the available opportunities, the freedom to go out without having my parents worried about my safety, the freedom to express my thoughts and feelings without being judged. Independence of India, is the day I look back and thank all those who made such a life possible for me.

Till then, no 'Happy Independence Day' for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment